Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Summer/Fall 2017 On Our Little Farm

The last time I made a blog post (over a year ago, sorry) I said I would update the blog more often, but I didn't... It seems with Facebook and Instagram quick snapshots are taken and quickly posted and writing about it doesn't seem necessary, but this is a journal of sorts and I do plan to keep up with it a bit better.

This past year has been a whirlwind with some wonderful times and some really sad, hard times... The Summer and Fall were really great with new life, growth, and lots of learning experiences. I will write about Winter/Spring 2018 and the challenges that it brought in another blog post.

Our chicks and ducks grew up and started laying eggs! There is something so exciting about the babies we raised laying eggs!



Duck Egg

Duck Egg vs Chicken Egg


Last Summer was really lovely here. It was green and not too hot, but it rained A LOT and we found out just how wet our property really is. The wet soil has been tough on our sheep's hooves and we have had a lot of hoof issues.

Our sheep and chickens get along very well!

Georgia our bottle baby lamb (Clun Forest X Tunis) growing up... 

Kai and his ducks

Matias loves the chickens! 


Georgia was the guest lamb at several petting zoos during the Summer. She enjoyed the free hay! 

I made progress on this quilt, that seems to be never ending... Ran out of fabric,  had to order more, then decided it needed to be bigger after I thought I was finished... Yeah, it's a pain, but I plan to finish it in 2018 and get it on our bed! 



In October I ran a half marathon here in Norwalk. The Rails to Trails Marathon! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a beautiful Fall marathon. It is ran on the Elroy-Sparta Bike Trail and goes through a 3/4 mile Tunnel. 


Here are the boys at the Tunnel

I seriously couldn't believe I ran the whole thing... I was slow (2hrs 41min), but I ran it all! Unfortunately I woke up the next morning unable to walk due to some stress fractures in my right foot, but HEY I ran the race and finished! 

I also decided to take the plunge with a new business opportunity and became a SeneGence Distributor (Skincare and Cosmetics, including LipSense)... So if you see a lot of LipStick, Skincare, Makeup Selfies pop up on my FB page that's what that is all about. I may have traded in my heels for barn boots (most days), but I will likely be in the barn wearing red lipstick! 

We bought a Tunis Ram in the Fall and bred our 4 ewes in October. Sampson is a beautiful ram and he is such a sweety! He really is so gentle and friendly, and we all really like him. So does Crimson! Below here they are cuddle up with each other on a cold winter day! 




Fall flowers from around the property. 



As Fall drew to a close and Winter fell, we had 4 ewes, a ram, and Georgia (she is a ewe, but she is rather petite and young still), 18 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, and 1 barn cat. 

We are thankful that God provided Nate with the opportunity to coach JV Soccer for Sparta High School. He really enjoyed that. He also started subbing for our school district, and was blessed with two different long term sub positions that ran the entirety of the school year. 

All of you are our friends and family and are welcome to visit any time! We would love to have you... Summer/Fall is probably more enjoyable in regards to the weather, but you are still welcome in the Winter!

Hope to see y'all soon!

Jessica





No comments:

Post a Comment